Monday, February 27, 2012

Only a Part of My Heart

This stems from a discussion that occurred in Denmark last week, sorry it's a bit late.
We were talking about how Lear is so ungrateful for Cordelia's love. Andrew also talked about this and shared the song 8% Of My Love. It made me think of another related song. Half Of My Heart by John Meyer. Even though I hate the song and the sentiment, here it is.
These both connect to-
"Haply, when I shall wed, That lord whose hand must take my plight shall carry Half my love with him, half my care and duty."
I thought of another song that relates to another point that someone brought up in class. Most likely, Cordelia, as the unmarried sister was living with  Lear and helping to take care of him and the estate. If this is the case it furthers her point that she loves him because she has shown him. Kind of like in Fiddler On The Roof in the song "Do You Love Me?" This is a great one!
While searching for this I also stumbled upon a Japanese version! Weird right? I watched it and loved the acting. There is more humor in this version and I really loved hearing the conversion of the song into another language. I have been thinking about looking into the Japanese Shakespeare world and have been trying to get my hands on "Ran" which is one of the earlier covers of King Lear, so there might be more of this to come if you guys like the idea.
So here you go if you are interested. I really liked the acting, and the humor is a little different.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting relation to "Half of My Heart" By John Mayer! I never would have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete