Friday, March 2, 2012

Composition Analysis

I was reading the musical post by Kim and it was really interesting to me even though I have not read Macbeth. She posted a classical rendition of Shakespeare. Here it is again.
I just thought I would give a few of my own ideas and analysis of what is here in a musical sense.

I think the part layering (where the parts would come in a little bit after one another in a cascading fashion to build the chord) that they did multiple times was a really good reiteration of the "Double Double" idea. It showed the build up of the spell, potion, or what ever the case may be. It was also good that it occurred in both directions (women to men, men to women) it gave variety and farther interest to the repetition in the composition that mimics literary Shakespeare's repetition.
The sliding (where you don't sing a note but you slide from high to low or low to high like a siren) was a good addition to the ethereal feel of the song. This is not that easily achieved with a whole choir.
Their work with the vowels was especially good. First they used spread  vowels that gives a really eerie sound. Then they used tall or rounded vowels that give a very for eccohy sound. Both lend different sounds that seem the most strange when combined with each other.
The spoken part of the song added the element of an incantation.
Staccato was also good.  "SOMEthing wicket this way comes, SOMEthing wicked this way come..." It gave emphasis and made you focus on the something. What is this something? The fact that it doesn't say combined with such an emphasis really makes the mystery and the creepiness.

Overall, it was in my estimation it was a great musical rendition of Shakespeare and I believe it represented him well in another medium.

1 comment:

  1. Woah, nice! I'm glad taht someone with a musical background could do that. That was really cool. I also noticed how they were using good imagry with the way they sang some things--surely someone with more musical background than I have could describe this better, but for example, when they sang about bubbles at one point the director started in the middle and worked his way around with different people singing, almost like a round, and it sounded like bubbles look...like a musical onomatopoeia or something? Maybe there is a word for that? Well, I'm just going to end this comment right here before I embarrass myself with my lack of musical knowledge, but nice post!

    ReplyDelete