Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Love's Actions Analyzed

I was reading Andrew's post and it got me thinking. I actually started to comment when I realized that it was turning into a really long awkward blob of text, so I decided to put it here instead.
I'd have to agree that Love's Labours Lost was a little heavy in the gushy romance department. But this kind of thing is common even now-a-days in chick-flicks and what not because, and you're right Andrew: It speaks to girls. And franckly it is commenting on how people act when they are in love. These actions, or labors, must be the focus of the play because it's in the title, clearly.
So I say that with this one Shakespeare is addressing the age-long question of what a girl wants and what actions speak loudest of love. The technical "right answer" is everything the men do in Love's Labour's Lost along with anything else you see guys do in the typical chick-flick; namely, poetry, favors or gifts, flowers, chocolates, and what have you. But actually, I think it comes down to a lot more. These sort of actions that are categorized as romantic are a big part of media and entertainment because I believe they actually happen in real life. But I believe they happen in real life as a natural result of love. If you love someone (even unromantic love) you want to spend time with them, you want to make them happy, and you truly have their best interest at heart. In romantic love you find yourself saying things that are cute to the other person naturally, because you like them, you actually think they are pretty, etc. I guess it is the sincerity that we are all looking for. We are all looking for a person that is compatible, but also a person that we can love sincerely and be loved sincerely in return.
Because we are so emotionally driven, we find ourselves acting like "fools" to everyone else, because we are driven to do things that we wouldn't if we didn't have someone to do it for, someone we sincerely loved.
We see a lot of this in poetry, gifts, the spending time together. Though these actions are natural, I think that sometimes they are forced because we put such pressure and precedence on them. When this is the case, you end up with a really awkward situation where one person is trying a little too hard. I have experienced such smotherings.
I guess this is my take-home-message. Love's labours are not something to worry about. They are not the center of relationships; love is. And these actions come naturally if you find yourself really liking someone. In other words: the guys won't wait for Valentines day to show their affection if they actually have any. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment