Friday, February 17, 2012

Hamlet vs. Hamlet, again

I thought I would give this title another go because I had a new idea. This title drives home what happens when Hamlet pretends to be mad in order to get closer to getting revenge on his uncle. He becomes almost bipolar; therefore Hamlet vs. Hamlet. You could argue that he is becoming mad while playing mad. He is not quite as far gone as Gollum vs. Smeagol, but still pretty crazy.

I was thinking that Gollum saying "where would you be without me?" reflects how Hamlet is driven by his revenge and nothing else. He stops caring about his own life (like moving forward with Ophelia or interacting with his friends) and obsesses over his uncle. If only Hamlet had been able to move passed that like Smeagol at the end of this clip (though of course we know that he reverts back to Gollum before the end)

No comments:

Post a Comment