Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Heavenly Tune

I opened up my Grooveshark account to listen to some music while doing my school work just now and relized that the words from "Heaven" by Brian Adams fit with some of the main characters from the Tempest. It's not a perfect fit, but I just thought I'd share.  
Original Lyrics (my thoughts on how they connect to the play)

HEAVEN = paradise = a beautiful, secluded tropical island = setting for The Tempest

Verse, Chorus 1 = Prospero talking to/about Miranda

Oh, thinkin' about all our younger years (Prospero raised Miranda on the secluded island for 12 years.)
There was only you and me (Besides Caliban, Prospero and Miranda are alone on the island.)
We were young and wild and free (They were not bound by any society, anyone's ruling, and were completely free to do anything on the island.)
Now nothin' can take you away from me (Alluding to the fact that he is a wizard and has power over any threat.)
We've been down that road before (Prospero remembers when they were still in Italy, and the treachery they suffered their.)
But that's over now (Prospero is about to get revenge on his brother.)
You keep me comin' back for more
 [Chorus]
Baby you're all that I want
When you're lyin' here in my arms
I'm findin' it hard to believe
We're in heaven
And love is all that I need
And I found it there in your heart
It isn't too hard to see
We're in heaven

Verse, Chorus 2 = Ferdinand talking to/about Miranda

Oh, once in your life you find someone
Who will turn your world around (Ferdinand has seen beautiful women of the courts, and even clear to Africa and back, but he says that Miranda is the most beautiful.)
Bring you up when you're feelin' down (Ferdinand came through an ordeal before finding Miranda.)
Yeah, nothin' could change what you mean to me (He will even do servant labor because of his love for her.)
Oh, there's lots that I could say (Ferdinand uses all sorts of language, even extreme vows to swear his love for Miranda)
But just hold me now (Perospero warns them to keep chaste until the marriage ceremony back in Italy.)
'Cause our love will light the way (Their marriage is Ferdinand's motivation to return back home.)
 [Chorus]

Verse, Chorus 3 = Miranda talking to/about Ferdinand

I've been waitin' for so long (Miranda has waited and grown up alone on the island for 12 years.)
For somethin' to arrive (There was no way for her to leave, some someone to come to her. The shipwreck on the island provided just that.)
For love to come along (Ferdinand is lead to her in the camp by Ariel)
Now our dreams are comin' true (Let's be serious: every girl, no matter how she is raised dreams of her prince charming!)
Through the good times and the bad
Yeah, I'll be standin' there by you(Though she is very innocent of what will happen, she vows her love back to Ferdinand.)
[Chorus]

1 comment: